Build Errors in STSDEV Project

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Hello,
I have downloaded and installed STSDEV for VS2008 (STSDev 2008 v2.0, Released: Feb 19 2009)

I created a basic Web Part Project, i build it, and i get the following errors:

*Invalid feature scope 'SiteCollection'. Valid values are Farm, WebApplication, Site, or Web. within feature.xml

*Invalid token 'Text' at root level of document within WebParts.xml

*Unexpected XML declaration. The XML declaration must be the first node in the document and no white space characters are allowed to appear before it. within WebParts.xml

I also get numerous warnings, along the lines of:

*The element 'Target' in namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003' has invalid child element 'RefreshSolutionFiles' in namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003'. List of possible elements expected: 'Task, PropertyGroup, ItemGroup, OnError'

Additionally, i don't see 4 files within the DeploymentFiles folder. The only file there is Microsoft.SharePoint.targets.

Does anybody know what has happened here? Is my installation bad, or has the port to VS2008 gone haywire?

thanks,

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:26 AM
DeploymentFiles should only have the targets file now that you are using the 2.0 version.  The ddf and manifest.xml files have been moved into the bin directory to help resolve issues with TFS and other Code Management tools. 

The warnings about Target in the msbuild namespace are normal and do not negatively effect the functioning of STSDev 2008.

The SiteCollection value for the feature Scope is a noted bug and will be fixed in the next version.
Apr 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM
When are this bug with the SiteCollection and Site value for the feature Scope released?
I'm trying to correct it myself, but don't know how to fix it.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM
The bugs exist in the latest version 2.0 and will be fixed in the next version 2.1.  I have a coworker who is going to provide assistance in updating the code and we will hopefully have 2.1 released in mid May.
Sep 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I have a VM sandbox WSS 3.0 enviroment using VS 2008 and am using STSDev 2008 2.0.1 from Apr 24 2010, which I think is the latest version to date.  I created New Project, MicroLink LLC, SharePoint Feature With Receiver with all defaults.  I then did a DebugDeploy and DebugInstall on the solution, both times I got the ERROR: Invalid feature scope 'SiteCollection'. Valid values are Farm, WebApplication, Site, or Web. 

Has this bug been fixed or is there a way to get around the error?  I have been following examples in the Inside MS WSS 3.0 and am able to deploy those examples in the sandbox just fine (at least through Chap 6).  

Thanks, Tom