This project is read-only.

Where is the documentation

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM
Hi,
I downloaded and installed stsdev 2008 but where is the documentation on how to use it?
Thanks,
Joe

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM
It would be very useful if I can see videos docs and some quickstarts.
Guys you make great work but please provide some documentation for it.
Thanks.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM
I'd love to see a list of the changes you've made to the original STSDEV, would that be possible?
Apr 14, 2009 at 6:19 AM
I have some information about changes that have been made since the original version of STSDev here.  I have intended to create a video, but have not had the time to do so with my normal work and my involvement with events like SharePoint Satuday.  Keep and eye out however for documentation to come in the future.
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM
The link here that you gave on the last reply goes to a page not found error.
Thanks,
Karen
Apr 17, 2009 at 6:08 PM
thanks for sharing the link.
But could you give me a quick start how to use this tool. Because I don't see any changes n VS2008 and the only stuff that gets installed is a dll.

tnx!
michel
Jun 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I am also having difficulty seeing what has been installed, or what has changed since STSDEV version 1. Do I continue to use STSDEV in tools, or is there another way to create projects?

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Here is a couple of quick items.

No do not continue using the StsDev version 1 project builder GUI.  You can continue to use StsDev v1 with StsDev v2 but the V1 build target file is not compatable with the v2 build target file.  (backward support may become available in later versions.  An upgrade feature is being worked on).

New Projects:
StsDev2008 now uses the same process that VS2008 uses.  To create a new project use the File->New Project, in the New Project windows under the C# projects you will see a new category "MicroLink" (this will probably just become StsDev 2008 in the next version).  The projects under the MicroLink category are the latest version of project templates for StsDev2008.

New Project Items:
Right click on your project and select Add New Item.  Again you will see the MicroLink category which allows you to add a number of custom objects to your project.  These items (layout pages, webparts, etc) may add 1 or several files to your project, but they all expect that you are adding them from the project node (otherwise the project layout structure gets all goofed up).

Build:
Build works the same as always but the dynamic files are now added to the bin as opposed to another folder where they might get included in Source Control.  Currently customizing the manifest is not available so all dlls will get deployed to the gac.  Of course after performing a build you can modify the manifest.xml and re-run makecab if you want some additional control.

*NEW* Solution Viewer
In the VS2008 View->Other Windows you will see a "Deployed Solutions".  This will allow you to view/add/deploy/retract/uninstall solutions from your local SharePoint installation.  This window requires you to manually update "refresh" on the solution menu to see when projects have been deployed.  (later version will do this automatically on a periodic basis).

If you have other questions please let me know.  I should have some video tutorials available when the next version is released.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I've just updated the Home Tab with three new wiki pages documenting some features of STSDev2008 including links to the original STSDev videos which still apply to STSDev 2008 1.x releases.